Monday, March 27, 2006

VW GTI Mark V, brings back some of the original but with 200 hp!

Are you old enough to remember the original GTI? I am and it was a unique product at the time. In the US small cars weren't supposed to be quick and agile, they were just supposed to get you from point A to B and blend in. But the GTI didn't blend in, not that it shouted "boy racer" no it was subtle, just some badges and minor trim differentiated it from the Rabbit/Golf it was based on. But car enthusiasts could tell, and the GTI started the entire "hot hatch" segment for us Americans. Over the years the GTI grew larger and more expensive and less relevant. But not anymore, the new fifth gen GTI is going back to it's roots. Keeping it simple, but fast.

I heard that a friend of mine just got a new GTI, and even though I bleed Ford Blue, I'm impressed and jealous. It's one of the few foreign cars that interests me. It's also one of the few cars that I don't hate in white. But the highlights for me are the 200 hp and low $20k pricetag. Sure if you want DVD navigation and every option you'll spend over $27K, but if you're careful you can keep the price down. I also have to say that I love the new marketing campains for the GTI, the FAST and the Un-Pimp my ride commercials.

This is going to be a winner for VW, and their customers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-pit-stop/506196-new-vw-golf-replaced-08-a.html

^^^ MkVI Golf is coming in 2008....

the current Golf will have very short life here in the US. (although it has been in Europe since 2003)

Igor